Thursday, January 1, 2009

I made it!

So the trip was actually fairly uneventful! I found my hostel just fine (hooray for free internet here!) Navigating the airport, train, metro, and then finding this place was actually pretty straightforward. The metro system looks really great, hopefully I'll be able to figure it out a little better in the next few days.

It's so crazy to think that I'm actually here! It's pretty humid - at least compared to Colorado and Washington. It's also so wonderfully warm, comparatively at least! Everyone here has their wool coats and boots on, I don't quite understand why, it was too hot wearing a sweatshirt. We'll see how much it cools down tonight.

I don't know why, but I wasn't really expecting palm trees, but they're here, along with reallllly old buildings all jammed together with tiny streets. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get out to explore and be able to take some pictures. My hostel is a block away from the main street "La Rambla" in the old gothic quarter of the city. I had to walk on it a few blocks to get here, there are lots of vendors, shops, trees, street performers, and tons of people! I wasn't really in the mindframe to explore hauling all my luggage around, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of it tomorrow.

I think it's time to take a nap, see if I can recover some sleep and get myself adjusted here then maybe go find myself some food. Thank you for your prayers for safe travel!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You've made it through the first big obstacle! hahahaa. :)

    Good luck with the jet lag. Good thing is, it'll be much better when you come back this way! Going TO europe is always way worse...:S

    I can't wait to see pictures!!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm exited for you! Glad to here it was relatively simple finding places. I at least have always enjoyed self navigating new places.:)

    I must say it is somewhat surreal that you're actually over there. Wow, I think it just hit me that I'll be doing the exact same thing reallly soon... sweet!

    Have fun exploring!

    ReplyDelete